Friday, October 29, 2010

Trick Pumpkin

Dear Flourgal,

How did you make the Trick Pumpkin? I'd like to make one for Thanksgiving.

Thanks,
Curious Cat, New Orleans, LA
___________________________

Dear Curious Cat,

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. Just kidding, sorta. Seeing how we don't deliver outside of L.A. I will share my secrets... :)

It's super simple actually. I found this on e-how to help you:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4543895_design-fresh-flower-pumpkin-arrangement.html

Major thing they forget to add is to place a plastic liner inside the pumpkin! These pretty arrangements look great and festive, but when they do go bad the pumpkin will soften and start to collapse, which can be pretty unsightly and icky to handle. There isn't anything you can do to prevent that- just giving you a heads up.

You can buy a plastic liner (found in wicker baskets) from a nursery, florist, or garden center. I would buy a premixed arrangement from Trader Joe's (they have eco-friendly flowers) or Whole Foods "Whole Trade" or "Fair Trade" flowers and cut the stems to varying lengths, then insert into floral foam. I have not yet found a replacement for floral foam as it is pretty toxic to the environment, but am on a search. Until then, use as little as possible for each arrangement.

Best of luck!
Flourgal

No comments:

Post a Comment