Monday, October 25, 2010

Fun ideas for vases?

Hi Flourgal,

I've recently gotten really into crafts after I got laid off last year. Most of the time I put flowers in whatever I have laying around, like a pitcher or vase, but I'm bored with that. Can you make some suggestions for fun vases? You're the best!

DIY Mama, Newark, NJ

post-dated 10.22.10

Dear DIY Mama,

Good for you for getting into new hobbies, especially flowers;) I scavenge thrift stores for frugal finds. It is so much fun seeing how any type of container can be transformed into a vase. From hard baseball hats to fruit bowls to lunch boxes, you will be surprised at what can become a vessel. I don't go as often as I should, and it's definitely hit or miss, but these treasures are unique and creative. My other favorite thing to do is fill a vase with candy and then add flowers. To do this, buy bulk candy (candy corn for Halloween, green and red jelly beans for Christmas, colorful dots for a birthday, etc) and buy a glass vase, and a smaller plastic liner (from a florist, nursery, or craft store). If you can't find a plastic vase, then try to find a cheap smaller glass vase. Fill the smaller vase with water, and place it inside of the larger one then fill the space with candy to the top. Place the flowers inside of the smaller vase, and voila! Beautiful and fun. Here's my list of other options- enjoy!

Fill the vase with potpourri, marbles, beans, lentils, sand.
Cover with fabric or wallpaper, using hot glue
Spray paint
Using double-side tape, tape leaves onto outside (lemon leaves, magnolia leaves, or horsetail)
Fill vase with sliced fruit
Cover with moss, or twigs, using hot glue
Spray paint branches silver or gold for the holidays

From,
Flourgal

No comments:

Post a Comment