Friday, November 12, 2010

I get by with a little help from my...succulents

Dear Flourgal,

I've been seeing succulents everywhere, and want to get on board. Do you have any tips for how to incorporate them in my house? Mostly I find them on wedding blogs, and like the style.

From,
Lost in Translation, Los Angeles, CA
__________________________________

Dear Lost in Translation,

Succulents are exotic, and put a twist on flower arrangements, which is why there is such a huge trend right now. Even though I've killed ivy (yes, it's true!), I have never killed a succulent. Okay, that's a lie, but they usually last at least 5-6 months for me before they die. They require very little water, and like the sun as opposed to the lovely orchid.
There are many ways to incorporate these little gems. First off, if you live by a flower mart, I'd say scour the place as they are very cheap. Even at nursery's you will find them to be fairly inexpensive, depending on the region. Tiny 1'' pots should cost about $0.99-$1.99 depending on variety, smalls about $4.95 and so on.
For your home, a mock-atrium arrangement is nice for something modern. Take a glass vase in an usual shape (martini, brandy, round bowl, etc) and fill the bottom with sand- you can buy packages at Michael's in any color, but I prefer white or beige. Place the various sized succulents in terra cota pots or hot glue sheet moss to the outside of the container to conceal it, and fit snugly inside the vase. Accent it with curly willow or moss balls, sea shells, or large river rocks. Voila! I also like to put tiny succulents in very small ceramic vases and place them in my bathroom and kitchen. Hope that helps!

From,
Flourgal

No comments:

Post a Comment