Friday, October 1, 2010

Dyed tulips for my wedding! Oh no!

Dear Flourgal,

I am in love with tulips, they are simple and elegant! I want to use them in my bouquet for my upcoming nuptials. I need to know if I can dye them for my attendants bouquets? Any advice on how to make my day more colorful? 

Sincerely,
Painting the tulips red!, Scottsdale, AZ  
________________________________

Dear Painting the tulips red!,

I had to reread your question twice, making sure that I read dye right. Technically, you could spray them (there is specific flower dye in spray paint cans, but those generally make red redder, purples bluer, etc.) or do the elementary school trick of placing white flowers in a cup of food dye. That being said, please don't! It looks as unnatural as it is, however you're in luck! Tulips are amazing for many reasons- they are super elegant and come in the colors of the rainbow (except blue). 

Dutch tulips are the short variety found everywhere. You can order any color (plain or bi-color, e.g. reds with a touch of yellow, or orange with yellow) a few days in advance. For a bride's bouquet I would use about 3-4 bunches (10 stems to a bunch). These tulips will have a lot of dirt inside the stems, so peel off any wilting greens, and run under water to remove dirt (or use a wet paper towel) and then cut stems on an angle. Place in the fridge for an hour (they are fine overnight too) in cool water to allow them to rehydrate and stand back up tall. Remember, heat expands and cool tightens. 

Parrot tulips, which are the same size as Dutch, have ruffly ends and come in lovely warm and cool colors (think whites with a touch of sage, mauve and pinks with green). They would be appropriate for something more fun and whimsical. French tulips are double the cost for a good reason. They are a bit more unusual and the flower heads are large and smooth. To me they resemble wax. They could be used in a cascading bouquet, just like large calla lilies are, and are found in large, tall centerpieces as well. 

To make your day more colorful, have each bridesmaid hold a different color bouquet of tulips, or if you want them to be monochromatic, change the color of the ribbon on the handle. 

From,
Flourgal

No comments:

Post a Comment